Today I have a fun recipe idea for you from Margie Sobil - she tried this with her support group at the Greenfield office, and it was a big hit.
She suggests trying this as a dessert to serve to guests - they might appreciate its lightness, and it looks very elegant served in individual dishes.
Recipe: (Lower Carb) Vanilla Yogurt with Pear Compote
- Large 32-oz container of plain, fat free greek style yogurt
- 8 teaspoons (or 8 packets) of stevia/Truvia or Splenda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4-6 medium apples, pears, or other fruit of your choice
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- 1/4 cup raisins or craisins
- cinnamon or nutmeg to taste
Combine the yogurt, vanilla, and 6 teaspoons of the stevia or other non-caloric sweetener.
Cut fruit into chunks and stew/cook covered with a little water and the lemon juice.
Add cinnamon, nutmeg to taste.
When almost finished, add craisins and remaining stevia. Refrigerate overnight.
Divide yogurt into 6 serving of about 2/3 cup. Top yogurt with about 1/3 cup of the compote.
Total carbohydrates = about 25-30g total carbs per serving. You will feel like you are having a gourmet dessert!